Learn About Will's Success at CCC

Wright College Addictions Studies student Will Leary isn’t afraid to try new things.

Chicago is his home, but he enjoys living in different places and taking in new experiences. Will graduated from college in 2008 with a bachelor’s degree in creative writing, but he’s also spent time working in other industries.

Once the pandemic hit, he was no longer able to return to his job at a health club and was in search of a new adventure. This led him to return to school full-time, and he settled on Addictions Studies. Throughout his journey, he’s been grateful for mentorship from instructors like Paul Everett from Kennedy-King College and Racquel Hays from Wright.

“She’s been a lovely instructor and mentor,” Will said about Hays. “I’ve enjoyed having her as a teacher.”

Will connected with Addictions Studies because he’s in recovery himself. He also has friends and family who have battled addiction.

“It was a very tough time, but it’s something I wouldn’t trade for anything because I think I needed that hardship to go from rock bottom to rebuild myself,” he shared. “I’m happier. I’m more confident. I believe in myself more.”

Addictions Studies students must complete an internship to be eligible to take the test to become a certified alcohol and drug counselor. Will spent 16 weeks at a clinic in East Garfield Park for his internship, where he worked as a counselor. It was his role to intake patients, help them set goals, and provide support throughout their treatment journey.

“When I’m at my internship, people can see someone who can relate to what they’re going through,” he said.

Will plans to graduate from Wright in the spring with an associate degree in Addictions Studies. He then wants to become a certified nutritionist or a drug and alcohol counselor. He also wants to spend time analyzing why people have a dependency on a certain substance.

Whatever he chooses, Will feels ready to enter the workforce thanks to his supportive instructors at Wright, the guidance of seasoned counselors at his internship site, and the real-world experience he gained through the opportunity.

“They’ve helped give me an understanding of what to expect,” Will said. “I’ve learned how to work with a group, write certain notes in a professional manner, and not to be judgmental of people.”

Will is excited about his new journey, and he’s grateful—grateful to be on a recovery journey, grateful for Wright College and grateful to learn something new every day.

“I learned what I’m capable of, and I’ve taken on challenges I didn’t think were possible. 10 years ago, I didn’t think I could do this,” Will said.

Loading