I’m from Bronzeville, and I grew up in the South suburbs where I attended Thornridge High School. After graduating from high school, I went on to beauty college, attained a license to practice, and went on to teach cosmetology.

When I decided to return to school, I chose Kennedy-King College because it was close to home and affordable. The Writing Centers, tutors, and City Colleges of Chicago Foundation scholarships all assisted me greatly in meeting my education and career goals. The best part was the faculty support I received – City Colleges professors are dynamic educators impassioned by the sport of exercising intelligence. With pride, I graduated from Kennedy-King College in the spring of 2022 with an Associate in Science.

I now attend Tuskegee University as an agribusiness major, where I’m learning about policy, economics, and food security. Next, I plan to purchase acres to launch a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) business that will integrate my passions for beauty and agriculture. CSAs offer produce to communities using a subscription model.

To any student considering attending City Colleges of Chicago, I advise you to dive into the community. Introduce yourself to faculty, become familiar with your advisor, and get clear on your education and career goals.

Lastly, if you do your absolute best, you’ll be rewarded. I know I did. I received a USDA 1890 National Scholarship award, landed a high-level internship, and secured employment with the United States Department of Agriculture.

"To any student considering attending City Colleges of Chicago, I advise you to dive into the community. Introduce yourself to faculty, become familiar with your advisor, and get clear on your education and career goals."

Emon Fowler

Loading