student in the paramedics’ pathway at Malcolm X College

“City Colleges of Chicago is an excellent place to feel supported and build a foundation for what you want to do next,” said Antoinette McIntosh, a student in the paramedics’ pathway at Malcolm X College.

In 2021, Antoinette graduated from MXC’s 16-week Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program. She scored a job with an ambulance company right away but realized she wanted to do more—she wanted to enroll in the college’s paramedic program. The theme of pushing herself is a hallmark of Antoinette’s story.

Growing up on the South Side of Chicago and attending De La Salle Institute for high school, Antoinette was a good student and participated on the swim and track teams. After graduation, she attended college in Indianapolis before taking a break and joining the Army to serve her country.

“I felt like I needed a break from school because I wasn’t as focused as I needed to be. I joined the military because I wanted to give my life purpose and meaning—I wanted to do something good, and I felt I could best make an impact there,” she said.

Antoinette believes it was her journey in the Army that ultimately led her to a career in the medical field. When she was ready to move on from the military, her sergeant, who knew she was interested in going back to school, sat down with her to help her navigate her college options. Those conversations and her own research helped Antoinette decide on Malcolm X College.

“When I got out of the service, I did my research on colleges, and MXC was my best choice because of its great reputation in healthcare education,” she said.

Alongside her military benefits, MXC’s MPACT scholarship helped to cover the costs of Antoinette’s tuition and books. Today, at the age of 25, she knows she wants to be a surgeon and has plans to transfer to UIC after graduating from City Colleges.

Antoinette says she would recommend MXC to future students for three reasons: the flexibility of class schedules, the affordable cost, and the supportive faculty.

“One of the biggest takeaways I have from attending MXC is the efforts made for students,” she added. “The college wants to see students succeed, and I appreciate their efforts to provide a safe and inclusive environment for us to learn.”