Maday Favela was born in a small town in Mexico, and emigrated with her parents to the U.S. when she was two years old. Although she lives in Brighton Park, Maday chose to attend Whitney Young, then Harold Washington College, enjoying the experience of taking classes downtown.

Knowing the price tag of a four-year college would be too much, Maday took advantage of the Star Scholarship, which allowed her to attend Harold Washington College for free.

“I know I would have gone to college otherwise, but I would have been in a lot of debt. Not only are you getting two years of a college education for free, it also gives you the space to figure out what you want to study and what you want to do with your life.”

In high school, she found a love for writing, and thought maybe she would study journalism or creative writing. After an extracurricular introduced her to set design for plays, she knew she’s like to incorporate that into a future career as well. She now plans to use both skills to tell stories, and will continue to hone her skills at the DePaul Theater School, where she has earned a substantial scholarship to help her with tuition.

Her experience at Harold Washington College was positive, and she had opportunities in the theater program that she might not have had elsewhere.

“Coming into a more intimate space forces you to think about the audience more than you usually would. Because it’s such a small program, I got to learn aspects of theater I didn’t know I’d be interested in, like directing. I told Professor Iannantuoni what I was interested in learning, and she really took me under her wing. I ended up being the only student learning lighting and sound board, for example. It was so fun and I learned so much about different aspects of design in theater,” Maday said. “I am also thankful for the learning experiences Dr. Jones has given me. She gave me the freedom to explore my creativity when I worked on Proof this spring.”

That experience will serve her well at DePaul, and as she figures out her career goals. For now, Maday says “I’d like to continue to get plays produced, and maybe eventually teach theater. As long as I’m doing theater in one way or another, I’m open to whatever is to come.”