With the dream of helping her family’s small business grow, Angelica Zamudio has proven she’s not afraid of hard work. Even though she received the Star Scholarship to attend Malcolm X College for free, she still worked two jobs to save up for the next step in her education, was the president of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, and earned the distinction of being named salutatorian for this year’s graduating class at Malcolm X College.

Angelica was not shy about asking for help when she needed it. She spent hours in the Writing Center and in the Academic Support Center, utilizing both staff and peer reviewers. When she was ready to start thinking about transferring to a four year university, she headed straight to the Transfer Center.

Angelica is excited to cross the stage on May 5th to get her diploma. “When I was in high school, I always wanted to be in the honor society. I didn’t do well at the beginning of my high school career, but I got it together. I’m so excited to be salutatorian – I made it happen!”

Her advice for students just starting out at CCC is to not be afraid just because things are new and different when you start college. “Everything is here for you to succeed – you just have to look for the resources. There is no excuse!”