Maurice Rodgers is honing his leadership skills at Olive-Harvey College as he prepares to transfer to a four-year university. After attending South Shore High School, Maurice entered into the workforce, unsure of a direction. At the age of 26, he decided to further his education, and chose to start classes at Olive-Harvey College. He knew it was a good option because it was conveniently located in his community – but he didn’t know just how many opportunities awaited him there.

Maurice is set to graduate in Spring of 2018 with an associate of arts with a focus on urban studies. He is also able to add vice president of Olive-Harvey’s Student Government Association, member of the Phi Theta Kappa honors society, and One Million Degrees scholar to his resume – not to mention being a part of Leaders of the Free World (LFW), a year-long leadership development program for young African American men that culminates in a summer service trip to Ghana, West Africa.

Maurice will be a first-generation graduate, and with the assistance of scholarships and financial aid, he’s walking away from City Colleges with an associate degree and no debt. In the fall, he plans to attend the University of Louisville in Kentucky to study political science and pan-African studies. His advice to other students is to be civic minded and to be an active participant in decisions that will impact your future.

“My experience at Olive-Harvey has been so positive because of the phenomenal faculty and staff. They are my support system and at times my sounding board, they have connected me to amazing opportunities, and they have helped me grow into the person I’ve become. I can’t wait to see what other opportunities are waiting for me. Being a City Colleges of Chicago student has helped me get closer to finding my destiny.”